Home
Lodge History

Lodge History

The request for the lodge came mainly from the developing mining centre of Carletonville but it was to take over ten years for the Golden West Lodge to find a permanent home there.

During those years it met in the King Edward masonic hall in Potchefstroom – where it was consecrated on the 7th August 1948 – and subsequently moved to Fochville, back to Potchefstroom, then to Randfontein, then to Carletonville and the finally to Pretoria where it was entered into the Universities Scheme in 2014 by approval of the Grand Lodge of England.

Golden West Lodge No. 6689 had its first meeting in the then new masonic hall in 1958. The Lodge has made steady progress and was joined at Carletonville by the J H Vivian Lodge, which it sponsored in 1955. The past Masters included one Grand officer, Fred Brear, who has rendered fine service to English Freemasonry in the Transvaal, including providing the District with its ceremonial sword.

The lodge now under the Universities Scheme serves to to establish and/or enhance arrangements and opportunities for undergraduates and other university members to enjoy Freemasonry.

Reference: ‘A Century of Brotherhood’ by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler

One Comment

Leave a Comment

*

*